Things are still mostly hunkered down for the winter here at Jugtown. We had a bit of a weather rollercoaster the last week with one day in the 70s and then four inches of snow the next day. The snow is mostly melted, but I’m not holding my breath for warmth anytime soon – the last frost date in these parts is almost the end of May!
So we’ve been drinking our hot chocolate and building fires and making plans. Big plans!
Here is E’s big list of big plans:
and I have a lot of plans floating around in my head that I have yet to actually put into a concrete list, or at least one coherent list (though a concrete list sounds kind of funny). I do have tons of little lists and ideas and snippets of things I want to look up. E and I are trying to have phone free Saturdays so I have to make a list of all the things I want to look up later instead of immediately grabbing my phone and googling everything. My most recent list consists of everything from how record players work (more on that later) to thermostat wiring and things that are automatic but not electric (a lot more on this later).
Since my big plan list is not ready yet, I did make a list of things I have either learned or accomplished.
- Wiring up the new bedroom! Yes this happened and was tested and is successful and no one died! I’m really proud of this.
- The furnace in the other greenhouse is working (I guess this is kind of a spoiler…)
- The truck has new hubs and a new battery which is properly held in place by a new battery strap and not the piece of crap I picked up at WalMart (yes, I know – but it’s the only place around here we can get prescriptions filled!)
- In general I’ve learned a lot about electricity and wiring.
- I almost have a fully functioning plow on the front of the tractor/glorified lawn mower.
- We got a new stove! (The reason for this is not something that should ever be discussed). I guess it’s not really an accomplishment, but it is exciting!
- E and I have done a really good job of not drinking alcohol the past month or so. This is more of a self care/mental health thing, but it’s worth mentioning.
And of course – staying cozy.
edited to add:
- I made a pretty excellent list of all our tools and appliances around here. I also downloaded and organized all the manuals for various things (heaters, thermostats, tractors, leaf mulchers) that I have looked up in the past and assume I will need in the future.
- I successfully sharpened the chainsaw chain and made a cool kindling splitter