I am happy to report – There’s a lot of things that have gone well around here lately!
The truck has working four wheel drive! (I tested it in the snow even!)
The compost pulley is in working condition and has only strewn pineapple bits over the driveway once in it’s fully functional form.
I made an amazing seed spreadsheet to keep track of my apparently 140 varieties of seeds I am hoarding
E and I moved some cabinets from the laundry room to the kitchen (reuse!) and they are still attached to the wall right where we hung them!
The furnace in the greenhouse is still functional and we had 250 gallons of oil delivered so it should be working for a while. (though I will mention the thing that did not go well – we put the snow plow thing on the front of the glorified lawn mower and it did not go well at all; because it is a lawn mower and that is all it does – mow the lawn. So E and I spent a good three days chipping ice out of the driveway so the oil truck could get down to the greenhouse. Note to self: shovel snow right away!)
We got a 78 record and played it successfully on the Victrola! (we also played a 33 and got to hear Dancing Queen sung by the Chipmunks!)
The new bedroom is almost done. E has done an awesome job on the walls
I fixed a hole near the inflator in the greenhouse and hooked up a new vent to use air from outside to inflate between the two layers of poly. (outside air is preferable since it reduces condensation between the layers)
That’s all I can remember right now – but hopefully there will be many more this spring!
E and I were away for a week and I had high hopes for the furnace to continue working during this time, especially since the high last Friday here was 23 degrees! Well we came back to this:
Turns out the furnace at some point stopped working and I have been on a whirlwind of ups and down the entire day. Let me walk you through it:
DOWN: The furnace stopped working and it was cold and my plants are SAD!
UP: It seems likely the furnace lasted for a bit since the low recorded by my thermometer was only 28 degrees (the low outside was around 17 degrees). Also, most of my plants (minus that super sad avocado above) seemed to be alright. I suspect the furnace was fine until it ran out of oil sometime during the week I was gone.
DOWN: I’m pretty sure the furnace ran out of oil and I thought I put 5 gallons of diesel in right before we left. This will cost a fortune to heat!
UP: Wait – I go get diesel and my gas can is only 2.5 gallons! Maybe this isn’t as bad as I thought!
DOWN: I put the new 2.5 gallons of diesel in the tank and press the restart. And no heat. The furnace turns on, I can sort of hear a spraying noise, and then the safety kicks in and the whole thing shuts down. Fuck!
UP: I am determined to fix this! While looking up YouTube videos about fixing furnaces I see something about bleeding your furnace if it runs dry. This seems very likely the issue since I’m pretty positive it ran out of oil (diesel is oil minus the red dye). I gather tools and prepare for battle with this fucker:
First I forget that the heater has to be on for this to work and think that maybe there is a total clog somewhere since I have removed the entire bleeder valve and there no oil to be seen… But luckily I remember! Air and oil sputters out. I try to restart…
DOWN: It does not start. I bleed it more. More air and oil. More oil. Now just oil. A steady of oil.
UP: IT’S ALIVE!!!!
Almost 60 degrees now (plus my really janky thermostat which definitely needs to be replaced – that’s for another time though)
And there you have it, my personal emotional roller-coaster courtesy of Siebring HeatMaster Oil Furnaces and Beckett AFG Oil Burners.
Look how nice those walls are!! E is excellent at building walls – she’s the carpenter around here. Our friends came up for the weekend and we put them to work. They helped us frame out what will be a new hallway so that our one bedroom will be a true bedroom that you don’t need to walk through to get to the other two.
One nice thing about framing walls is that if something is a little crooked or off a bit, you can just bash it with a hammer in the right direction. If only more problems were solved with hammers…